Thursday, September 6, 2012

Peanut Butter Breakfast Pudding

I'm currently in Missouri, staying at a couple of friends' house in between weekends of the Kansas City Renissance Festival (I'm doing 10 shows a day; if you're in the area, catch me either on the Wildwood Chapel Grove Stage on the half hours or the Dunwoodie Dell Stage at the top of the hours.) I brought my Giant Tub Of Camping Food with me, but I was thrilled to find a Hy-Vee grocery store just up the road from my friends' house with a decent-sized natural foods section in it. The Hy-Vee doesn't really have much in the way of organic produce, unfortunately, but they've got a ton of packaged and frozen/refrigerated vegan foods.

My Big Camping Tub Of Food. Almost everything a vegan could want while camping.
My Giant Tub Of Camping Food! That would be heat-n-eat Indian food, ramen noodles, soy milk powder, EnerG egg replacer, coconut water, Cliff/Luna/Pro/Lara bars, nutritional yeast, baking soda, tvp, soy curls, bulk chili mix, bulk refried beans, bulk black beans, sweet brown rice, sprouted brown rice, white basmati rice, quinoa, oats, orzo, pancake mix, grapeseed oil, raisins, Bragg liquid aminos, blackstrap molasses, sucanat, xylitol, cocoa powder, tea, peanut butter, crackers, and cereal.

While at the Hy-Vee, I picked up a bag of Enjoy Life vegan mini chocolate chips to make peanut butter apple sandwiches (more on that in the next post). This morning, I felt like I wanted oatmeal, but also wanted chocolate. What to do? Chocolate Covered Katie to the rescue!

Peanut Butter Breakfast Pudding

I decided to make Peanut Butter Breakfast Pudding. I had picked up a bunch of organic bananas at Wheatsville Co-Op before I left Austin, and had peeled, halved, and frozen them upon getting to my friends' house (since they were starting to get over-ripe). I'd also brought along my Blendtec blender (oh, blender, how I love you so!), but couldn't blend half a frozen banana with just peanut butter and a splash of vanilla extract. I cooked the oats and flax milk (thank you, Hy-Vee!) in the microwave, and then added it to the blender. Once everything was combined, it blended nicely. In addition to Katie's ingredient list, I also added a few shakes of cinnamon. After everything was blended and poured back into the bowl, I topped it with chocolate chips. Even with the banana being frozen, the oatmeal was hot enough to melt the chips as soon as I stirred the oatmeal, which made lovely chocolate swirls throughout the pudding.

This was probably one of the most delicious breakfasts I've eaten to date. I can't wait to try out the rest of the oatmeal variants on Katie's page!

No comments:

Post a Comment