Tuesday, November 9, 2010

RESTAURANT REVIEW - Hoboken Pie, Austin, TX

Hoboken Pie
718 Red River Austin, TX 78701
(512) 477-HBKN
Mon-Fri 11 AM - 2:30 AM
Sat-Sun 12 AM - 2:30 AM

Hoboken Pie - Austin, TX
"Proud Like The Pigeon" is the slogan of this tiny pizza parlor on the corner of 8th and Red River. The actual location is easy to miss - it's sandwiched in between Bull McCabe's and Headhunters. Hoboken Pie appears to have wi-fi, though it's password protected. However, one can connect using the signal from Bull McCabe's.

Hoboken Pie - Austin, TX
My vegan dining companion and I ordered a large pizza with mushrooms, black olives, tomatoes, pineapples, artichoke hearts, spinach, and Teese (vegan cheese from Chicago Soy Dairy). The pizza was the largest one they offered, and when it arrived, we found that it took up almost the entire table! We did manage to finish it, but just barely. Teese doesn't turn out as good as Daiya; it melts into a very liquid-y pool of molten cheesy lava on the pizza, and cools within 10 minutes or so to a reasonable consistency, but has a taste that's not quite as convincing as Daiya. I'm not all that picky about my vegan cheeses (I'll certainly pick favorites, but if offered a vegan cheese, I'm not likely to turn it down), but I did suggest to my dining companion that he wait a few minutes before eating the first slice. He was hungry and decided not to wait...which meant that some of the molten Teese slid off the slice he picked up and dripped on the rest of the pizza and the pan. I think he also burned his mouth a bit. I discovered that the ideal waiting time for Teese cool-down and solidification is about 5 minutes, at which point it was quite tasty. My dining companion also pointed out that the molten Teese had mixed with the sauce a bit, producing a somewhat pink pizza. *grin*
Hoboken Pie - Austin, TX

Hoboken Pie is open quite late, which is a good deal for vegans who want to grab a bite to eat after hitting some of the downtown bars or clubs. One thing to keep in mind, though - they only have 2 or 3 small tables inside, so if they happen to be busy, you might need to get your pizza to go.

2 comments:

  1. The first time I had Hoboken I ordered delivery downtown and I loved it. The next time I got delivery I was much farther and the cheese had congealed into a total disaster. It was so gross. I still like Teese better than Daiya though! I think I am all alone there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I did a grilled vegan cheese taste test a while back, but it was before Teese and Daiya had come out. I really need to do a second run and see how everything stacks up.

    ReplyDelete