Friday, October 7, 2011

RESTAURANT REVIEW - Spiral Diner, Dallas, TX



I did, in fact, end up doing grocery shopping yesterday, but since I had no Miracle Max, the spinach and kale ended up being thrown away. I grabbed a vegan blueberry muffin from Wheatsville and had that for dinner.

Mark and I woke up way too early this morning (after having not enough sleep), and packed the car for our trip to Kansas. By the time we got to Dallas, we were ready for a break, so we stopped at Spiral Diner in Dallas. For those unfamiliar with Spiral, everything they serve is 100% vegan. This is one of my favorite restaurants, and a great place to to stop partway through a very long trip.

I decided to take a break from my usual (a hot wrap or the special), and got the Big Texas Salad. I'm not generally a salad person (which confuses some of my omni friends like you wouldn't believe!), but this looked like it would have enough "other stuff" (i.e., not just leafy greens) to make me happy. This salad has walnuts, black olives, raisins, corn, shredded carrots, green peas, cucumber, and avocado, and I got mine with a side of tahini. The salad was very tasty, but I had two thoughts - one, I possibly would have been happier getting the grilled tofu for an extra $1.95 (and I did think about it, but just didn't do it), and two, the avocado might have been better served in slices all over the salad instead of all in one piece in the middle. In spite of these things, I was still happy with what I got.

Spiral Diner Dallas - Big Texas Salad

For desert, we decided to split a chocolate shake. This, my friends, is a chocogasm in a glass. Thick, rich, and just the right amount of sweetness.

Spiral Diner Dallas - Vegan Chocolate Shake

This is not the first time Spiral has impressed me with a shake. A few years back, I was driving to Oklahoma and wanted something sweet to take with me. There was some delicious-looking strawberry cake in the bakery case, but I hadn't brought any of my to-go containers with me (and didn't want to use disposables). When I told them this, they asked what I had, and I showed them my travel mug. They had the brilliant idea of blending the strawberry cake with some chocolate ice cream and a bit of soy milk and turning it into a chocolate-covered strawberry cake shake! That shake got me through all of downtown Dallas traffic and a ways north in a very blissful state.

Here's the important details -

Dallas location - 1101 North Beckley Avenue, Dallas, TX 75208
Fort Worth location - 1314 W Magnolia Ave, Fort Worth, Texas 76104
Closed Monday | Tue-Sat. 11am – 10pm | Sun. 11am – 5pm


I've got lots of other Spiral Diner pictures on my Flickr stream. Hmmm, perhaps tomorrow's post can be all of my Spiral Diner pictures. What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. I've heard such good things about Spiral diner. Hopefully one day I can visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealous Jealous Jealous! I hope the foot is better~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely post more Spiral diner pictures tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted about Spiral the other day. Love it! I looked at your flickr pics, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete