Friday, October 5, 2012

Dinner & a Movie - Serenity

Film - Serenity
Travel Tie-In - The crew of Serenity travel to many planets in the 'Verse.
Food - Fruity Oaty Bars




Anyone who knows me knows that I am a tried and true Browncoat. To those of you unfamiliar with that there term, you might want to mosey your way over to the pilot episode of "Firefly" on Hulu. (It's free!) "Firefly" is just about the best piece o' storytellin' in the 'Verse, dealing with all manner of cowboys, bandits, mercenaries, and heists - in space.

I'm going to devote an entire future Dinner & a Movie post to "Firefly" (Book's Protein with Rosemary and Tomatoes, "Some Kind Of Hot Cheese", Ice Planets, Inara's Tea Service, and Shimmer Wine), but since I'm out of the world for a spell, I figured I'd start with the simpler task of makin' Fruity Oaty Bars from the film "Serenity". (You know "Firefly" has to be good; how many other single-season cancelled TV shows get their own blockbuster Hollywood movie?)



Now, the Fruity Oaty Bars in the commercial are somewhat more colorful than my version, but I figure that, since I also don't have blue skin, it's ok.

Fruity Oaty Bars

These are slightly modified from Kate's Granola Bars.

Fruity Oaty Bars

1/2 stick Earth Balance (or 1/4 cup oil)
3/4 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of maple syrup
1/4 cup of peanut butter
2 cups of rolled oats
1 1/2 cups of other stuff (like cranberries, raisins, dried blueberries, chopped dried figs, nuts, chocolate chips, etc.)

Melt Earth Balance (or oil) with brown sugar and maple syrup. When it just starts to boil, toss in peanut butter. Toss with rolled oats and other stuff. Make sure to coat everything.

Press well into a 9 x 9 pan lined with waxed paper. When they're cool, cut them up.

Fruity Oaty Bars In Pan
Yes, I used foil instead of waxed paper. Told ya I was out of the world for a bit.

It's very important that you wait for the liquidy part to boil before you add the oats and stuff, or otherwise it won't stick together as well.

Fruity Oaty Bars

No comments:

Post a Comment